Wednesday 13 June 2018

Days 10 -11 Leaving Seven Spirit and on to Darwin


Night (outside the dining room before dinner Thursday 31 May ) 
and Day (outside our lodge before breakfast Friday 1 June)
 
The strange phenomenon in this latitude is that sunset and sunrise happen facing the same general direction instead of a clear opposite east and west. The tree line background  in these snaps is one and the same.

 Native beehive seen on front verandah on our departure


 Melville and Bathurst Islands from our plane
On arrival at Darwin our bus went straight to Casuarina Hospital, as one of our number had begun to feel unwell- he was released to travel home directly the following day. 

There are 3 Hilton hotels in Darwin, two of them are side by side on The Esplande , both called Doubletree by Hilton. 
None is absolutely on the foreshore, but our room had a good view so I essayed a pan shot from our balcony using my phone.
Last dinner was alfresco at Char restaurant. My chief memory is that a floodlight was propped in a tree and pointed straight at my face giving me the feeling of an actor spotlighted on stage. I donned sunglasses and made several requests for adjustment but was informed that management regarded this as impossible. However after half an hour or so a more enterprising member of our group rose, strode over to the tree, put his finger on the under side of the flood light, pushed and thereby changed the angle of the light giving great relief to me and highlighting the foliage rather (why didn't I think of that?).  Once I was blinded but now I could see. There were other infelicities.
The Outback Spirit tour concluded at breakfast Saturday morning, but we had elected to linger over the weekend to explore some of Darwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment